Meet Your Charlotte Orthodontist
Dr. Robert Selden is a native of North Carolina and received all of his training from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. After graduating with distinction from UNC with a degree in Chemistry, he received a Doctorate of Dental Surgery degree from the UNC School of Dentistry.
Dr. Selden then completed his residency at the UNC Department of Orthodontics. Dr. Selden is still connected to the UNC School of Dentistry, where he is an adjunct professor in the Orthodontics Department.
Dr. Selden is currently a member of the following professional organizations:
- American Association of Orthodontists
- American Dental Association
- National Dental association
- Old North State Dental Society
Additionally, Dr. Selden is an Affiliate of the American Board of Orthodontics. He has a passion for dentistry and orthodontics, and actively strives to improve each patient’s quality of life through their dental health, appearance, and function of their teeth.
Why an Orthodontist in Charlotte?
Orthodontist vs. Dentist
An orthodontist is a dentist, but a dentist is not an Orthodontist. All orthodontists are dentists first, but though not every dentist has the qualifications to be an orthodontist. Dr. Selden continued his formal education for 2 or 3 additional years before receiving the necessary license and certification. As an orthodontist, Dr. Selden has spent years studying nothing but how and why to move teeth. This includes what to do, how to plan, and how to execute the appropriate treatment plan.
Why does it matter if you see your Charlotte Orthodontist?
Specialists receive additional training to give them the skills needed to deal with more complex orthodontic problems. Dentists receive basic orthodontic training which allows them to perform root canals, extract wisdom teeth, and treat young children who do not need to see an orthodontist yet.
Seeing a specialist like your Charlotte orthodontist may change your experience in braces by:
Providing additional treatment options.
- Giving you more efficient treatment and visits, because it is the office's primary area of care.
- Knowing that you'll receive the best possible outcome on your treatment plan, especially if you have severe bite problems that need to be addressed.
- Personal experience treating multiple cases that share your unique concerns.
- Being seen more quickly, as a family dentist will be focused on longer patient cases or emergencies throughout the day.
You may think it's easier to have your orthodontic work completed by your dentist. Convenience shouldn't be a concern, because you will only be stopping by your Charlotte orthodontist's offices every six to eight weeks.
And don't let price be a problem either! Selden Orthodontics is proud to provide affordable treatment in the Charlotte area.